Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Casey update

The news is not good.
Her lab work was not bad considering her chronic kidney condition.
But I mentioned to our vet yesterday that I have recently noticed that Casey's pupils are extremely dilated and I question how much she is seeing.
So he referred her to the animal hospital in town and Casey has since been examined by two doctors [including a kitty eye doctor] and the bottom line is:
She has high blood pressure and is blind and there is nothing that can be done for the blindness.
She is on blood pressure medication and eye drops for inflammation.
Now that she is blind it is apparent [to me] that she can't hear either.
I think before she was compensating with her vision but now that is gone too.
I don't know what to do for her and I feel so helpless.
She seems comforted when I hold her so we are doing a lot of that.

And last night I had to take Riley to the Emergency Room because he was straining to urinate and was passing blood.
That can be a life-threatening emergency in a male cat.
Thankfully he's not obstructed which was my fear although I was told to watch for signs of it.
We are still working him up but so far he is on pain medication and an antibiotic.
Today he seems a little more comfortable but still having symptoms.
I'm praying the medications kick in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment