Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Living the wild life in Arizona

As I sit here writing I am being serenaded [I am being sarcastic] by a retarded woodpecker. Instead of attacking a tree or cactus to look for grubs or whatever it is woodpeckers look for, this idiot is pecking on the metal spark arrester on our chimney. Do you know what that sounds like? Why he isn't getting a headache, I don't know. And this isn't the first time he's done this. Yesterday was the same thing and he has been at it before then as well. Guess he's a really slow learner.
I was also on the phone with the local animal control people last night. Not for the woodpecker. He's a lost cause.
No, yesterday morning while on the phone in my office, I glanced out my front window and there, big as life, walked a mountain lion with his catch of the day in his mouth. I couldn't believe my eyes. This was the second time I have seen one in town. We live in a relatively rural section of Arizona. Kind of a suburb to a suburb. Mountain lions have been spotted before but to actually see one live was a treat. I didn't think to be upset about it but the animal he had in his mouth was a cat [dead] and it looked like a neighbor's cat so we told them when they arrived home last night. Turned out not to be theirs but they reported the sighting to animal control anyway who then asked to speak to me since I was the witness. Frankly, I hope they don't hunt the animal down. He has a right to survive. My feeling is this is just something we have to accept living where we do. They were here first. If you don't want to deal with the wild life, don't live here.
I do feel bad for the cat, though. Why people don't keep their pets indoors when there are so many predators around is something I will never understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment