Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thundershirt

On the advice of a friend [Thank you, Lenora!], I looked into getting a Thundershirt for Toby to help with her anxiety issues.
It arrived the other day and I tried it for the first time when the cleaning service came yesterday. I keep the cats and dogs in my office with me when the women are here because I don't want them underfoot while they clean and I also don't want to worry someone might get out when the front door is open. However, as you can imagine, not only do I have the anxiety of all the animals in the small office with me but Toby is anxious because strangers are in her house moving our stuff around. How dare they!
So there is usually lots of barking and panting going on.
Not yesterday. Within seconds of putting on her Thundershirt, Toby was relaxed and calm. She would bark once - only once! - if I had to leave the office for any reason but calmed when I shushed her and told her I would be right back.
Then she went and lay down as if she didn't have a care in the world. Such a departure from her usual self.
I am in love with this shirt. So much so I ordered another one for Jessie. I am going to see if it helps her with her nervous licking. She is wearing it right now and calmly dozing. But Toby didn't like it when I put her shirt on Jessie. She's quite possessive of her new shirt. What a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment